PSM156 Studio Master Mains Purifier
The PSM156 power conditioner is built on the foundation of Puritan’s legendary PSM136, by retaining the symmetrically balanced circuitry and 6 fully independent outputs. However, the PSM156 increases the number of independently tuned filter elements from 39 to 52 enabling your system to deliver even greater delicacy and detail while enhancing dynamics and punch.
The PSM156 will lift your system into a new dimension. The definition takes an enormous stride forward, individual instruments gain air between them with their sound and timbre becoming believable, and the sound stage will move out of your speakers and into the room with gains in three-dimensionality with clarity, definition, and space between the instruments for them to interrelate rather than muddle each other. Your listening will become a far more engaging and pleasurable experience.
Puritan’s range starts with the eminently sensible Guardian. This sits outside your system and suppresses unwanted sinewave spikes coming into your power. That includes noisy refrigerators, computers, and that iPhone charger you’ve had sitting behind a sofa for the last five years. The company also makes a range of Strip Purifiers, ‘dissipative’ power cords (you don’t want your power cord as an aerial, do you?) and top of the tree – the Studio Master Series. This last uses independent, tuned filter elements to rebalance the AC sine wave, remove all DC components, and reduce transformer noise to allow them to perform more efficiently, delivering optimal dynamics and power range.
The Studio Master Series uses multiple cumulative and sympathetically tuned stages of purification to remove both common and differential modes of mains-born interference. And, unlike many distributors, conditioners and filters, Puritan’s deft touch improves the system’s performance, with only slight foreshortening of the soundstage. However, The Audio Consultants and its Puritan Audio PCM-156 Special Edition kicks in here. By using high-grade Furutech connectors throughout, this Special Edition physically grips the power cords more successfully than the standard version, and that –plus the extra contact surface area in those Furutech connections – makes even this minor ‘blip’ to the soundstage go away.
We received a ‘small’ care package from The Audio Consultants that includes both standard and Special Edition versions of Puritan’s PSM-136 and PSM-156 filter blocks, both having six 13A inputs with the meatier PSM-156 having many more stages of filtration (52 in fact) and ‘more filter’ means ‘more Puritan punch’. We also had a set of Puritan Classic power cords for the filters and standalone use with audio electronics. Ultimate versions seem to have their own little comfy sweater as outer shielding. No mandatory edict suggests you must use the Puritan’s C-19 power cords with products connected to the Puritan block. Still, the blocks’ filtration concept extends to the power cords and are an excellent physical, sonic and conceptual match.
The exciting part about the no-frills exterior of the Puritan Audio PCM‑156 Special Edition mains distributor is that it tends to tick a few ‘minimalist’ boxes. This isn’t some shiny brushed aluminium power conditioner full of exotic displays and fancy status indicators; it’s a no-fuss/’do exactly what it says on the tin’ kind of product. That is worthy of high praise because all the design expenditure is placed where it counts, on the inside.
- Rebalances the AC sine wave removing the DC component, preventing transformer buzz, and allowing them to breathe properly at full efficiency.
- Six 15 Amp Outlets each with independent refilter stages for both common and differential mode disturbances avoiding cross-contamination between connected equipment.
- 52 cumulative stages of purification remove common and differential mode interference, enhancing clarity, staging, and dynamics.
- Equal resistance routing to all outputs realizes full dynamic performance.
- An integral earth management system inbuilt with cleansed ground and star earthing format further lowers the noise floor and further enhances clarity and dynamics.
- Internal wiring silver-plated OFC copper PTFE insulated.
- Massive 9,000 Amps Repetitive Rating, three-dimensional, non-sacrificial voltage surge protection.
- Rated Voltage 110-250v AC 50/60Hz
- IEC Type C20 Input
- Electrically and magnetically shielded casing.
- Dimensions W430, D230, H110.
- Manufactured in the UK
- 5 Year Warranty
- Awarded a 6 Moons Blue Moon (reserved only for “outstanding” products of “rare excellence”).
- Awarded “Product of the Decade” and “Publishers Choice” by The Stereo Times